Monday 28 May 2007

Happy Homosexual Birthday!


Hi all,
The marketing of craft equipment often disgusts me. Men like beer, golf and football, and cards in brown or black, whereas we women like everything to be bright pink and think of nothing but shoes or bags. This is rubbish, and if your social circle reflects those stereotypes then I suggest you get out more and experience the rich diversity of humanity!
Papercraft Inspirations magazine often gives away great free gifts, and the last issue was no exception - 10 plastic craft templates. One was a woman and one was a man, and in the magazine they suggested that you make a lovely wedding card with them holding hands. Well, maybe I will, but in the meantime I had a birthday card to make for a gay friend. No problem - I used the man template twice, on a pink background (remember those Beatjuice flyers?) and finished with a peeloff and a few silver stars. This is the answer - subvert!
A film I can't recommend enough is Yes Men. One of their greatest subversive acts was to buy Barbie and GI Joe dolls, swap the voiceboxes, and place them back in the shops. So when the children opened their presents, they found GI Joe saying, 'I just love shopping with my girlfriends!' and Barbie saying, 'I leave dead men where I go'. The kids loved it - children are perceptive and have a sense of humour - and it was a peaceful and original way of making a point about toy marketing. I'm not saying I do the same, but I make unconventional cards with pride! Love to all,
Jehanine x

3 comments:

Unknown said...

happy happy!!

Healthcare and IT Professionals said...

I saw your first blog which is about to the Card Designing,and the third time i visited here so it is a also a very useful and great work so for.Thanks for share information about to the Homosexual Birthday.
Plastic Cards.

Unknown said...

شركة عزل اسطح بالقطيفشركة عزل اسطح بالخبر
شركة عزل خزانات بالقصيم