Sunday 21 October 2007

Party Invitations


Look at most craft advice re. the making of bulk invitations, and you'll be told to keep embellishments to a minimum and to make them all the same. Congratulations - you just became a production line! I can sympathise with the idea, particularly when making cards to sell or for a charity event, but not really the creative or environmental ethos. I have to admit that for my recent 40th birthday, I sent most invitations by that most environmentally friendly medium, email. For people not plugged in or whom I wouldn't see in person, though, I made invitations - and not by buying embellishments and making identikit cards. Most were designed for the recipient,with images I'd saved that I thought suited him or her. For instance the arty image above on torn scraps of fluffy waste paper and textured with 3D foam, went to my friend Caroline who is incredibly artistic and creative. The lady with parasol on the right went to my friend Mysty, who has a strong connection with the Victorian era. And so on and so on, as you can see by the pictures. It wasn't all about art, though - I used up many odds and ends to make the cards - you know, those scraps of paper (they were mostly turned into wine glasses or bottles), single brads and pins that don't really go with anything else - it took me several days straight and was quite intense, but the results were much praised and appreciated. For the lettering I decided to do simple calligraphy (I adapted my renowned 'struggling with arthritic fingers clumsily' font) for the most part, which looked nice - a decent pen and ink can be a good investment for the crafter. Even if your handwriting isn't gorgeous, it adds such a personal touch.
Ooh, and if you're one of the guests (as I know a few of you readers are!), many thanks for coming! the party was one of the happiest nights of my life, and being 40 rocks!
Love to all,
Jehanine x

1 comment:

Nick Gibbins said...

Thanks for inviting the three of us!

I've taken more of the middle path when it comes to our cards; I cant abide bought embellishments, as I think I said at your party), but I'm quite happy to set up a production line to make my own.

Now I come to think of it, the closest I've come to bought embellishments were the sachets of salt and pepper that I used for the "Seasoned Greetings"/"Condiments of the Season" cards about ten years ago.